Counselling vs Counseling
What’s the difference between them?
Counselling is a noun that means the process of providing support, understanding, guidance and advice to help people resolve personal, social, educational and career-related problems.
1. I've been going to counselling twice a week to help me process my emotions.
2. She was able to get through the difficult period thanks to counselling from her therapist.
3. The school provides free counselling services for students who need it.
Meaning is the same, but such spelling is mostly used in American English.
1. My teacher suggested I seek counseling to help me cope with my anxiety.
2. She received counseling from a qualified psychologist.
3. The counseling sessions helped her develop healthier coping mechanisms.
Learn similar and opposite words to spot the difference
There are no direct antonyms for this word.
There are no direct antonyms for this word.
Tricks for mastery
Useful tips to understand the difference between confusing words "Counselling", "Counseling".
1. Remember that two 'LLs' is the British English spelling, while one 'L' is the American English spelling.
Check the full list of commonly confused words in EnglishLearn the difference
Frequently asked questions
When to use the first word 'Counselling'?
'Counselling' is the British English spelling for the process of providing advice, guidance, or support to a person in order to help them work through their problems, or to make decisions. It is typically used by mental health professionals to help individuals identify and work through their personal issues or goals.
When to use the second word 'Counseling'?
'Counseling' is the American English spelling for the same process. This is the spelling used in the United States and many other countries where American English is spoken. It is used in the same way as 'counselling' - to provide advice, guidance or support to a person in order to help them work through their problems or make decisions.
Do the words have the same pronunciation?
Yes, both words are pronounced the same way, with the stress on the first syllable. It is generally pronounced as 'koun-suh-ling'.
What are common mistakes associated with words 'Counselling' 'Counseling'?
One of the most common mistakes is using the wrong spelling of the word. It is important to remember to use the correct spelling for the region you live in. Another mistake is confusing the word 'counselling' with 'comforting', as counselling is not the same as providing emotional support. Additionally, people often confuse 'counselling' with 'therapy' - although counselling can involve providing advice and guidance, it is not the same as a therapeutic process.
Fill in the gaps to check yourself
1. She decided to pursue a career in _____ after she graduated from university.
2. In the United States, it is common to spell it as _____.
3. In the UK, professionals often offer mental health _____ to those in need.
4. He started attending _____ sessions to cope with his stress.
5. The university provides free _____ services to all its students.
6. The _____ center in London has a great reputation for helping people with anxiety.
1. Answer: counseling/counselling.
Explanation: Both counseling and counselling are correct, depending on the regional spelling conventions. Counseling is used in American English, while counselling is used in British English. Both words refer to a professional service providing advice or guidance, often in the context of mental health.
2. Answer: counseling.
Explanation: Counseling is the correct spelling in American English, which is indicated by the reference to the United States. It refers to a professional service that helps individuals deal with mental, emotional, or life challenges.
3. Answer: counselling.
Explanation: Counselling is the correct spelling in British English, which is indicated by the reference to the UK. It refers to a professional service that provides individuals with advice and support for personal or psychological problems.
4. Answer: counseling/counselling.
Explanation: Both counseling and counselling can be used here, depending on whether American or British English is being used. Both words refer to a professional service that provides advice and support for dealing with personal, social, or psychological problems.
5. Answer: counseling/counselling.
Explanation: Both counseling and counselling can be used here, depending on the regional dialect of the speaker. American English speakers typically use counseling, while British English speakers use counselling.
6. Answer: counselling.
Explanation: Given that the context implies British English usage by referring to London, counselling is the appropriate term to use here.
Get a gift by subscribing to our newsletter!
Download the PDF with a list of commonly confused words made as flashcards for comfortable learning.
List of Commonly Confused Words
Finding your way around the English language can be hard, especially since there are so many confusing words and rules. So, a list of the most confusing words in English is an extremely useful tool for improving language accuracy and sharing the ideas clearly.