Maybe vs May be
What’s the difference between them?
'Maybe' is an adverb that is used to express uncertainty or possibility, often when making a suggestion or showing that one is considering a possibility.
1. Maybe we can go out to dinner tonight.
2. Maybe I can help you with your project.
3. Maybe the weather will clear up by tomorrow.
'May be' is an verbal phrase used to indicate a possibility or show uncertainty.
1. I may be late for the meeting today.
2. We may be able to find a solution if we work together.
3. It may be a good idea to start saving now.
Learn similar and opposite words to spot the difference
There are no direct antonyms for this word.
Tricks for mastery
Useful tips to understand the difference between confusing words "Maybe", "May be".
1. Remember that 'Maybe' is an adverb, while 'May be' is a verb phrase.
2. 'Maybe' is used to express uncertainty, while 'May be' is used to express possibility.
3. Substitute 'maybe' with 'perhaps.' If the sentence still makes sense, 'maybe' is the correct choice.
E.g., 'Maybe/Perhaps I will go to the store later.'
4. Substitute 'may be' with 'might be.' If the sentence still works, 'may be' is correct.
E.g., 'She may be/might be at the store.'
Check the full list of commonly confused words in EnglishLearn the difference
Frequently asked questions
When to use the first word?
The word 'maybe' is used to express uncertainty or to refer to a possibility. It is used when you are not sure about something, or when there is a chance that something is true. For example, you can say 'maybe I will go to the party tonight' if you are unsure if you will actually attend.
When to use the second word?
The word 'may be' is used to refer to something that is probable or likely. It is used to express a possibility of something occuring. For example, you can say 'it may be raining tomorrow' if it is likely to rain the next day.
Do the words have the same pronunciation?
No, the words 'maybe' and 'may be' are not pronounced the same. The word 'maybe' is pronounced with a long 'a' sound whereas 'may be' is pronounced with a short 'a' sound.
What are common mistakes associated with words?
One of the most common mistakes associated with these words is using the wrong one. Many people often substitute 'may be' for 'maybe' or vice versRemember, 'maybe' expresses uncertainty and 'may be' expresses a possibility or likelihood. Additionally, another common mistake is mispronouncing the words. Make sure to pronounce the words correctly to avoid any misunderstandings.
Fill in the gaps to check yourself
1. ______ we will go to the park tomorrow if the weather is good.
2. There ______ a chance of rain during the afternoon.
3. ______ she didn’t understand the instructions properly.
4. The keys ______ in the drawer in the kitchen.
5. ______ it’s too late to apologize.
6. It ______ a good idea to check the weather forecast before planning the picnic.
1. Answer: Maybe
Explanation: Maybe is used as an adverb meaning perhaps or possibly and is used to indicate uncertainty. The sentence expresses a possibility of going to the park, so Maybe is the correct choice.
2. Answer: may be
Explanation: May be is a verb phrase that indicates a possibility. In this sentence, may be is used to express that there is a chance (it is possible) that it will rain in the afternoon.
3. Answer: Maybe
Explanation: Maybe is used to express a possibility, suggesting that perhaps she didn’t understand the instructions. It indicates a degree of uncertainty and is used at the beginning of the sentence as an adverb.
4. Answer: may be
Explanation: May be is used to express the possibility that the keys are in a particular location, making it the correct choice. It indicates that it is possible that the keys are in the drawer.
5. Answer: Maybe
Explanation: Maybe is used to express a possibility or uncertainty. The sentence suggests that it is possibly too late to apologize, so Maybe is the correct choice.
6. Answer: may be
Explanation: May be is used to express that something is possibly a good idea, indicating a degree of uncertainty. The sentence suggests that it is possible that checking the weather forecast is a good idea, so may be is the correct choice.
Get a gift by subscribing to our newsletter!
Download the PDF with a list of commonly confused words made as flashcards for comfortable learning.
List of Commonly Confused Words
Finding your way around the English language can be hard, especially since there are so many confusing words and rules. So, a list of the most confusing words in English is an extremely useful tool for improving language accuracy and sharing the ideas clearly.