Spatter vs Splatter
What’s the difference between them?
spray a liquid in small drops or a scattered manner.
1) Paint spattered on the wall when I accidently knocked over the can.
2) Rain spattered against the window, making a soothing tapping sound.
3) He spattered the gravy all over his shirt while eating.
spray a liquid in large amount in a random or careless manner.
1. Juan watched in horror as the red paint splattered on the wall.
2. The eggs splattered on the floor when they were dropped.
3. The mud splattered onto her shoes as she ran through the puddles.
Learn similar and opposite words to spot the difference
4. Spread Drops
5. Dot with Liquid
5. Flick droplets of liquid
2. Neatly Arrange
3. Gently Trickle
4. Cautiously Place
5. Collectively Organize
Tricks for mastery
Useful tips to understand the difference between confusing words "Spatter", "Splatter".
1. When using the words 'spatter' and 'splatter', remember that the former is used for a liquid that is scattered in small drops, while the latter is used for a liquid that is sprayed in large amounts in a random or careless manner.
2. 'Small drops spatter, larger drops splatter.'
Check the full list of commonly confused words in EnglishLearn the difference
Frequently asked questions
When should 'spatter' be used?
Spatter should be used when the desired effect is to spray a liquid in small drops or a scattered manner. It is often used when a fine mist is desired, such as in painting or when applying a thin layer of liquid.
When is the appropriate context for using 'splatter'?
Splatter should be used when the desired effect is to spray a liquid in a large amount in a random or careless manner. It is often used when a thicker splatter of liquid is desired, such as when creating a textured effect in artwork or when applying a thicker coating of liquid.
Do 'spatter' and 'splatter' share the same pronunciation?
No, the two words do not share the same pronunciation. Spatter is pronounced 'SPAT-er' and Splatter is pronounced 'SPLAT-er'.
What are some common mistakes people make when using these words?
A common mistake people make is using the wrong word for the desired effect. Each word has a very specific meaning and should be used appropriately. Another mistake is mispronouncing the words, as they are not the same pronunciation. It's important to remember the pronunciation, so the desired result can be achieved.
Fill in the gaps to check yourself
1. She accidentally __________ some paint on her clothes while painting the wall.
2. The chef carefully added sauce to the dish, ensuring it didnt __________ all over the kitchen.
3. The rain began to __________ against the windowpane, creating a soothing sound.
4. Be cautious when using the blender; it may __________ ingredients if not properly sealed.
5. The artist wanted to create a dramatic effect, so he decided to __________ paint across the canvas.
6. The kids had a messy food fight, causing sauce to __________ all over the dining room.
1. She accidentally spattered some paint on her clothes while painting the wall.
Explanation: Spattered implies that she sprayed or scattered paint in small drops, which accidentally landed on her clothes.
2. The chef carefully added sauce to the dish, ensuring it didnt splatter all over the kitchen.
Explanation: Splatter suggests that the chef made sure the sauce didnt spray in large amounts in a random or careless manner.
3. The rain began to spatter against the windowpane, creating a soothing sound.
Explanation: Spatter is used to describe the raindrops falling in small drops on the windowpane.
4. Be cautious when using the blender; it may splatter ingredients if not properly sealed.
Explanation: Splatter indicates that the blender may scatter ingredients in a larger, less controlled manner.
5. The artist wanted to create a dramatic effect, so he decided to spatter paint across the canvas.
Explanation: Spatter is used to describe the artists intentional action of spraying paint in small drops.
6. The kids had a messy food fight, causing sauce to splatter all over the dining room.
Explanation: Splatter suggests that the sauce was sprayed in a random and careless manner during the food fight.
Get a gift by subscribing to our newsletter!
Download the PDF with a list of commonly confused words made as flashcards for comfortable learning.
List of Commonly Confused Words
Finding your way around the English language can be hard, especially since there are so many confusing words and rules. So, a list of the most confusing words in English is an extremely useful tool for improving language accuracy and sharing the ideas clearly.