Anyway vs Any way
What’s the difference between them?
1. Anyway, I think I'll go to the store.
2. Anyway, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
3. Anyway, it was nice talking to you.
Any way means 'in any manner'
1. I'll do it any way you want me to.
2. I'll make it work any way I can.
3. Any way you look at it, the outcome will be the same.
Learn similar and opposite words to spot the difference
4. In any case
1. No way
2. Certainly not
3. Unequivocally not
4. Undoubtedly not
1. In any manner
2. By any means
3. In any way
4. Through any method
1. No way
2. Dead end
5. No alternative
Tricks for mastery
Useful tips to understand the difference between confusing words "Anyway", "Any way".
1. Think of 'anyway' as an adverb that means 'regardless.' It's often used to introduce a statement that is not directly related to what was said before.
2. 'Any way' refers to manner or method. If you can replace it with 'in any manner,' it's the correct choice.
3. Treat 'anyway' as a single word. Think of it as meaning 'regardless' without considering the individual meanings of 'any' and 'way.'
4. Separate 'any' and 'way' in your mind. If you can replace it with 'in any manner,' it helps to remember that 'any way' is about method or manner.
Check the full list of commonly confused words in EnglishLearn the difference
Frequently asked questions
In what situations should the word 'Anyway' be used?
The word 'Anyway' is most commonly used to introduce a sentence or phrase which expresses a conclusion or restatement, usually in the face of a disagreement or contrary opinion. It is used to emphasize a point and can be seen as an expression of confidence or defiance. For example, 'Anyway, that's what I think'.
When is the appropriate context for using the word 'Any way'?
The word 'Any way' is used to refer to a manner, method, or means of doing something. It can also be used to refer to a particular direction or route, such as in the phrase 'any way you can'. For example, 'I need to get this done any way I can'.
Do the two words share the same pronunciation?
Yes, these words have similar pronunciation, so you have pay attention to the context to use the correct word.
What are some common mistakes people make when using these words?
One of the most common mistakes people make when using these words is using the wrong word in the wrong context. For example, using the word 'anyway' to refer to a manner or direction rather than to introduce a conclusion or restatement. It is also common to mispronounce the words, so it is important to practice and be aware of the proper pronunciations.
Fill in the gaps to check yourself
1. She wasnt sure _____ to handle the situation.
2. Im not sure I want to do it _____.
3. He had to figure out _____ to solve the problem.
4. We didnt know _____ to move forward.
5. He had to find an _____ to get help.
6. Im not sure _____ this will work.
1. She wasnt sure any way to handle the situation.
Explanation: The phrase any way is used to describe a method or manner in which something is done. In this sentence, the speaker is referring to a particular method they can use to handle the situation, so any way is the correct word choice.
2. Im not sure I want to do it any way.
Explanation: The phrase any way is used to describe a method or strategy used to achieve a goal or task. In this sentence, the speaker is referring to the particular manner in which they would carry out the task, so any way is the correct word choice.
3. He had to figure out any way to solve the problem.
Explanation: The phrase any way is used to describe a method or process used to address a problem. In this sentence, the speaker is referring to the particular strategy he would use to solve the problem, so any way is the correct word choice.
4. We didnt know anyway to move forward.
Explanation: The word anyway is used to describe a particular direction or course of action. In this sentence, the speaker is referring to the particular direction they could take to move forward, so anyway is the correct word choice.
5. He had to find an any way to get help.
Explanation: The phrase any way is used to describe a method or approach used to obtain assistance. In this sentence, the speaker is referring to the particular route they must take to get help, so any way is the correct word choice.
6. Im not sure anyway this will work.
Explanation: The word anyway is used to describe a particular manner in which something can happen. In this sentence, the speaker is referring to the particular way in which the proposed plan would work, so anyway is the correct word choice.
Get a gift by subscribing to our newsletter!
Download the PDF with a list of commonly confused words made as flashcards for comfortable learning.
List of Commonly Confused Words
Finding your way around the English language can be hard, especially since there are so many confusing words and rules. So, a list of the most confusing words in English is an extremely useful tool for improving language accuracy and sharing the ideas clearly.