Astronomy vs Astrology
What’s the difference between them?
The study of the universe beyond the Earth, including the formation, structure, motion, and composition of celestial bodies.
1. I want to study Astronomy at university to learn more about space.
2. She is a keen amateur astronomer and loves to observe the night sky.
3. Astronomy is the oldest of the natural sciences, dating back to antiquity.
The study of the positions and movements of celestial bodies in the belief that they have an influence on the course of natural earthly occurrences and human affairs.
1. I recently started learning about astrology and it has been fascinating.
2. My friend is an expert in astrology and she loves to read horoscopes.
3. I think astrology is a valid form of self-discovery and personal development.
Learn similar and opposite words to spot the difference
1. Celestial mechanics
4. Celestial navigation
There are no direct antonyms for this word.
2. Celestial divination
4. Zodiac reading
5. Horoscopic forecasting
There are no direct antonyms for this word.
Tricks for mastery
Useful tips to understand the difference between confusing words "Astronomy", "Astrology".
1. Astronomy is the scientific study of celestial objects and phenomena.
2. Astrology is a pseudoscientific belief system centered around the notion that the positions of celestial bodies influence human affairs.
3. To remember this difference, you can use a mnemonic phrase such as: 'Astronomy is science, Astrology is fictitious'.
4. Practically speaking, Astronomy is an academic field that requires a lot of research and knowledge, while Astrology is more of a belief or superstition.
Check the full list of commonly confused words in EnglishLearn the difference
Frequently asked questions
In what situations should the word 'Astronomy' be used?
Astronomy is the scientific study of celestial objects and phenomena that originate outside of Earth's atmosphere. It is used in many contexts, including cosmology, planetary science, astrobiology, and astrophysics.
When is the appropriate context for using the word 'Astrology'?
Astrology is the study of how the positions and movements of celestial bodies can influence people's lives. It is typically used in the context of horoscopes and divination to attempt to predict or interpret events.
Do the two words share the same pronunciation?
No, the two words have different pronunciations. Astronomy is pronounced /uh-struh-nuh-mee/, with the stress on the first syllable, while astrology is pronounced /uh-struh-luh-jee/, with the stress on the second syllable.
What are some common mistakes people make when using these words?
One of the most common mistakes people make when using these words is confusing them. While they both relate to the study of astronomy, they are two distinct fields. Another common mistake is assuming that astrology is a scientific discipline, when in fact it is not.
Fill in the gaps to check yourself
1. The study of the stars, planets, and other celestial objects is known as ______________.
2. While both ______________ and Astrology are focused on the stars, the former is a scientific field whereas the latter is a pseudoscience.
3. Many ancient cultures used ______________ to predict the future or to explain natural phenomena.
4. A person who studies ______________ is known as an astronomer.
5. The ______________ of today is based on scientific observation and mathematics rather than on superstition and tradition.
6. Astronauts learn about the principles of ______________ in order to understand the universe and its workings.
Explanation: Astronomy is the scientific study of the stars, planets, and other celestial objects.
Explanation: Astronomy and Astrology are both focused on the stars. However, Astronomy is a scientific field and Astrology is a pseudoscience.
Explanation: Astrology was used by ancient cultures to predict the future and explain natural phenomena, as it was based on superstition and tradition rather than scientific observation and mathematics.
Explanation: An astronomer is a person who studies Astronomy, which is the scientific study of the stars, planets, and other celestial objects.
Explanation: The Astronomy of today is based on scientific observation and mathematics rather than on superstition and tradition, as it was in ancient cultures.
Explanation: Astronauts need to learn about the principles of Astronomy in order to understand the universe and its workings.
Get a gift by subscribing to our newsletter!
Download the PDF with a list of commonly confused words made as flashcards for comfortable learning.
List of Commonly Confused Words
Finding your way around the English language can be hard, especially since there are so many confusing words and rules. So, a list of the most confusing words in English is an extremely useful tool for improving language accuracy and sharing the ideas clearly.