Everyone vs Every One of Us
What’s the difference between them?
Everyone is a pronoun that refers to all the people in a particular group or all the people in general.
1. Everyone in the room was smiling.
2. Everyone deserves a second chance.
3. Everyone has their own opinions.
Every One of Us
Every One of Us is a phrase used to refer to every single member of a group collectively.
1. Every one of us has a unique purpose in life.
2. Every one of us deserves to be treated with respect.
3. Every one of us has the potential to make a difference.
Learn similar and opposite words to spot the difference
4. Full complement
2. Nobody else
Every One of Us
1. All of us
2. The whole of us
4. Each and every one
5. Every single one
1. None of us
3. Not a soul
4. Not a single person
5. Not a single individual
Tricks for mastery
Useful tips to understand the difference between confusing words "Everyone", "Every One of Us".
1. Remember that 'everyone' is a single word used to refer to all people, while 'every one of us' is two words used to refer to each individual member of a group.
2. Whenever you are referring to a group of people, think of the phrase 'every one of us' to help you recall that you are referring to each member of the group.
Check the full list of commonly confused words in EnglishLearn the difference
Frequently asked questions
When should 'Everyone' be used?
Everyone should be used when referring to all members of a group or all people in general.
When is the appropriate context for using 'Every One of Us'?
Every One of Us should be used when referring to each individual member of a group collectively.
Do 'Everyone' and 'Every One of Us' share the same pronunciation?
No, they do not share the same pronunciation. Everyone is pronounced /ˈev.ri.wʌn/, while every one of us is pronounced /ˈev.ri.wʌn ov ʌs/
What are some common mistakes people make when using these words?
A common mistake people make when using these words is confusing them and using the wrong one in the wrong context. It is important to remember that Everyone should be used when referring to a group as a whole, while Every One of Us should be used when referring to each individual member of the group.
Fill in the gaps to check yourself
1. _____ has a role to play in protecting the environment.
2. _____ should contribute to the fundraiser if possible.
3. The coach said, This is a team effort, and _____ needs to give their best.
4. The decision impacts _____ in the community.
5. _____ has their own unique talents and strengths.
6. The tragedy touched _____ deeply and profoundly.
1. Everyone has a role to play in protecting the environment.
Explanation: In this sentence, the word refers to all people in general, making everyone the appropriate choice.
2. Every one of us should contribute to the fundraiser if possible.
Explanation: The context here places emphasis on individual participation, emphasizing the idea that each individual (of a specific group or community) should contribute, hence every one of us fits the context.
3. The coach said, This is a team effort, and every one of us needs to give their best.
Explanation: The coach is addressing a specific group (the team) and highlighting the importance of individual effort, so every one of us is more appropriate.
4. The decision impacts everyone in the community.
Explanation: The context is broader and refers to all people in the community in general, making everyone the correct choice.
5. Everyone has their own unique talents and strengths.
Explanation: The sentence refers to all people in a general sense, so everyone is the appropriate term.
6. The tragedy touched every one of us deeply and profoundly.
Explanation: This sentence emphasizes the individual impact on members of a specific group or community, hence every one of us is more fitting.
Get a gift by subscribing to our newsletter!
Download the PDF with a list of commonly confused words made as flashcards for comfortable learning.
List of Commonly Confused Words
Finding your way around the English language can be hard, especially since there are so many confusing words and rules. So, a list of the most confusing words in English is an extremely useful tool for improving language accuracy and sharing the ideas clearly.