Youth vs Youths
What’s the difference between them?
Youth is defined as the period of time in a person's life when they are young, typically between childhood and adulthood.
1. The youth of the town gathered to protest the new policies.
2. Every summer, the church organizes a youth retreat.
3. She is actively involved in youth outreach programs.
Youths are young people, usually between the ages of 13 and 24.
1. Community support programs help to engage and empower youths.
2. Our neighborhood has a strong culture of youths looking out for one another.
3. The organization regularly runs programs to help support vulnerable youths.
Learn similar and opposite words to spot the difference
1. Young person
10. New generation
5. Old Age
10. Growing Up
4. Young people
5. Rising generation
Tricks for mastery
Useful tips to understand the difference between confusing words "Youth", "Youths".
1. Youth is a singular noun and refers to a period of life, usually between 12-25 years of age.
2. Youths is a plural noun and refers to more than one young person.
Check the full list of commonly confused words in EnglishLearn the difference
Frequently asked questions
In what situations should the word 'youth' be used?
The word 'youth' is commonly used to refer to a period in life usually between the ages of 12 and 2 It can also be used to refer to a specific group of people in a certain age range or people in the process of growing up.
When is the appropriate context for using the word 'youths'?
The plural form of the word 'youth' is 'youths,' and is used when referring to a group or multiple individuals within the age range of youth. It is used in the same contexts as the singular form, but when more than one person is being referred to.
Do the two words share the same pronunciation?
No, the word 'youth' is pronounced as /ˈjuθ/, while 'youths' is pronounced as /ˈjuθs/.
What are some common mistakes people make when using these words?
One common mistake people make when using these words is forgetting to use the plural form when referring to more than one individual or group. Another mistake is using the singular form to refer to a group of people rather than the plural form. Additionally, people sometimes mistakenly use 'youth' to refer to young children instead of adolescents or young adults.
Fill in the gaps to check yourself
1. The city has an excellent program for __________ to explore their interests in the arts.
2. At the end of the summer, the campers will put on a play for their family and __________.
3. The charity works to ensure that all __________ have access to educational opportunities.
4. The organization is proud to have mentored hundreds of __________ over the years.
5. The government has invested in initiatives to support __________ in need.
6. The charity is dedicated to providing resources and support to disadvantaged __________.
Explanation: The word youth refers to young people or individuals who are not yet adults, which fits the context of the gap as the program is for young people to explore their interests.
Explanation: The word youths is a plural form of youth and is used to refer to a group of young people. In this sentence, it is used to refer to the group of campers who will present the play.
Explanation: The word youths is used to refer to a collective group of young people, which is necessary for the context of the sentence as the charity works to ensure access to educational opportunities is available to all young people.
Explanation: The word youths is used to refer to a collective group of young people, with the organization having mentored hundreds of them.
Explanation: The word youth is used to refer to young people, which is necessary for the context of the sentence as the initiatives are focused on supporting young people in need.
Explanation: The word youths is used to refer to a collective group of young people, with the charity providing resources and support to disadvantaged young people.
Get a gift by subscribing to our newsletter!
Download the PDF with a list of commonly confused words made as flashcards for comfortable learning.
List of Commonly Confused Words
Finding your way around the English language can be hard, especially since there are so many confusing words and rules. So, a list of the most confusing words in English is an extremely useful tool for improving language accuracy and sharing the ideas clearly.