Barbie Movie Going Viral - All You Need to Know
The long-awaited Barbie movie hits theaters on July 21, 2023. Beyond being an iconic doll, Barbie has ruled social media and left a lasting impact on fashion. This summer, Barbiecore has become the hottest trend, flooding the market with themed merchandise. Let's get ready to talk about this trendy topic while improving English language skills.
The Iconic Doll: A Brief History
Barbie, whose full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts, made her debut on March 9, 1959, courtesy of a southern California toy company. Ruth Handler, who co-founded Mattel with her husband Elliot, drew inspiration from her daughter Barbara's love for paper dolls. The design of the figurine’s appearance was influenced by the German Bild Lilli doll, a humorous gift for men based on a cartoon character from the West German newspaper Bild Zeitung. The first-ever Barbie was dressed in a stylish black and white striped swimsuit, along with blonde ponytail and an hourglass figure.
The Amazing Evolution
Since her debut, Barbie has undergone remarkable transformations, embracing inclusivity and diversity. In 2016, Mattel's #TheDollEvolves campaign gave her a modern makeover, introducing diverse body types like curvy, petite, and tall, along with various skin tones and hairstyles. Today, Barbie stands for much more than the traditional blonde, perfect-bodied image. She has also embarked on over 200 inspiring careers, from being an astronaut to a robotics engineer.
Barbie’s Family and Friends
In response to the public's demand, Mattel introduced Barbie's perfect "accessory" - Ken, her boyfriend - in 1961. The entourage grew with the addition of best friend Midge in 1963 and younger sister Skipper in 1964. It took until 1980 for the grand debut of an African American Barbie incarnation, following the introduction of "friend" dolls of color in 1968.
Top 10 Facts about Barbie
As you prepare to watch the Barbie movie, here are ten fascinating facts about this iconic doll that inspired the exciting film.
- Barbara Millicent Roberts is the doll’s full name.
- Ruth Handler, the co-founder of Mattel, named Barbie and Ken after her children, Barbara and Ken.
- Barbie’s official birthday is March 9, 1959.
- When Barbie first hit the market, she was priced at just $3, making her accessible and popular.
- The best-selling Barbie doll of all time is the 1992 Totally Hair™ Barbie, with floor-length locks.
- If Barbie were a real person, her proportions would be extremely unrealistic, with a height of 5'9", a bust size of 39 inches, a waist circumference of 18 inches, and shoe size of 3.
- Barbie traveled to space in 1965, four years before humans landed on the moon.
- As of 2023, a total of 43 movies have been made inspired by Barbie. The first, "Barbie in the Nutcracker," released in 2001, while the latest "Barbie," directed by Greta Gerwig and featuring stars like Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, premiered this year.
- Barbie's YouTube channel has over 11 million subscribers and 23 billion minutes of watched content, making it the top brand for girls on the platform.
- Every minute, over 100 Barbie dolls are sold, available in 150 countries worldwide.
Controversy or Role Model?
For more than 60 years, Barbie has sparked both criticism and admiration. Some see her as promoting unrealistic beauty standards that harm girls' self-esteem, while others view her as an empowering female icon with diverse careers, from astronaut to president. Her glamorous and independent image has inspired generations of girls to dream big. Whichever stance you hold, Barbie undeniably remains a powerful cultural influence.
Barbie’s Cinematic Triumph
As the official Barbie trailer hits screens, it becomes clear why this iconic doll reigns supreme in the world of cinema. Its success is driven by several key factors that captivate audiences worldwide.
Nostalgia and cultural relevance: With decades of history, Barbie has formed a deep connection with Millennials and Gen Z who grew up playing with the dolls.
Star power: The movie boasts popular actors Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, drawing in audiences with their talent and star status.
Unique storytelling: Unlike previous animated films, this live-action Barbie movie immerses viewers in a vibrant world, resonating with its fish-out-of-water storyline.
Positive critical reviews: Critics praise the film's visuals, humor, and message, creating word-of-mouth buzz.
Social media sensation: A strong marketing campaign and viral trends like "Barbiecore" further fuel public interest.
Strategic timing: Released during the summer season, the family-friendly film benefits from kids being out of school, boosting ticket sales.
Learn English with all Barbie Movies
Discover a fun way to enhance your English language skills through Barbie movies using these simple tips:
- Watch the movie with English audio and subtitles. Pay close attention to how the spoken words align with the text in the subtitles.
- Pause the movie at intervals to repeat out loud new phrases you hear. By mimicking the pronunciation and intonation, you can enhance your English speaking skills.
- Look up the meanings of new words you come across. Seeing the words used in context in the movie will help you remember them effectively.
- Pay attention to grammar patterns used. Note how sentences are constructed and the order of subject, verb, and object. This will contribute to your understanding of English grammar.
- If necessary, rewatch scenes to catch any details you missed initially. It will help strengthen your overall comprehension of the movie.
- Act out dialogues from the movie with a friend. This can make the language stick better in your memory through interactive practice.
- Write down idiomatic expressions and colloquial language used in the movie. Look up their meaning to learn conversational English.
By incorporating these strategies into your Barbie movie watching, you can make language learning an enjoyable experience. So grab some popcorn, sit back, and let this fantastic girl help you enhance your English skills!
Learn English with Promova
Discuss popular movies with fellow learners in the free Promova Conversation Club. Join this engaging space to make friends, have fun discussions, and practice communication skills. And the best thing is that the Promova official website holds a treasure trove of other helpful solutions waiting to be discovered!
Dress to Impress at the Movie Premiere
Join the excitement and style your outfit for the Barbie movie's premiere:
- Embrace Barbiecore with vibrant and predominantly pink ensembles. Remember, the bolder the hue, the better!
- From latex mini dresses to dainty fit-and-flares, choose diverse silhouettes and add details like feathers, sparkles, holographic accessories, and plastic hair clips for the perfect Barbie aesthetic.
- Bubblegum pink and fuchsia also work for Barbiecore, and don't forget to channel the spirit of specific decades, from the 1980s to the early 2000s. Get ready to shine!
Famous Barbie Quotes
In her illustrious history, Barbie has shared some inspiring movie quotes that resonate with audiences:
“There’s a princess in every girl.” – From Barbie: Princess Charm School, reminding us that within each of us lies the potential for greatness and grace.
“True courage is pursuing your dream, even when everyone else says it’s impossible.” – Barbie And The Three Musketeers, encouraging us to chase our dreams against all odds.
"If you love something, set it free." – Barbie & Her Sisters In A Pony Tale, teaching the importance of letting go and allowing things to unfold naturally.
"The best way to make a friend is to be a friend." – Barbie Mariposa and the Fairy Princess emphasizing respect, kindness, and genuine friendship.
"Magic happens when you believe in yourself." – Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale, highlighting the significance of self-belief and its extraordinary outcomes.
As the highly anticipated Barbie movie hits theaters, it's no wonder that this iconic doll is once again taking the world by storm. So, whether you're dressing up for the movie premiere, seeking inspiration from the character’s empowering quotes, or simply reminiscing about the impact this iconic doll has had on society, use Promova to enhance your English skills in a delightful and immersive way.
When was Barbie first launched?
It was first introduced at the American Toy Fair in New York on March 9, 1959. The doll was invented by Ruth Handler, co-founder of Mattel.
How many careers has Barbie had?
Barbie has had over 200 inspirational careers since she was first created, including teacher, astronaut, pilot, firefighter, journalist, and robotics engineer to name a few.
How old is Barbie?
The character was first introduced on March 9, 1959. As of 2023, she is 64 years old.
What was the first Barbie doll's outfit?
The first figurine wore a black and white zebra striped swimsuit. She also had her signature blonde ponytail.
How many Barbies are sold each year?
Over 58 million dolls are sold annually in more than 150 countries around the world. She remains one of the world's most popular toys.
Does Barbie have any siblings or family members?
Yes, she has siblings including Skipper, Stacie, Chelsea, Kelly and Krissy. She also has friends like Ken, Midge, Teresa and Blaine that make up her social circle.