Advice vs Suggestion
What’s the difference between them?
opinion about what someone should do.
1. My grandmother always gave me the best advice.
2. I'm looking for some advice on how to best handle the situation.
3. He's always been a great source of advice for me.
proposal for an action or course of action.
1. I have a suggestion that we should go for a picnic this weekend.
2. My suggestion is to wait until we have more information before making a decision.
3. His suggestion was to find a different solution to the problem.
Learn similar and opposite words to spot the difference
Tricks for mastery
Useful tips to understand the difference between confusing words "Advice", "Suggestion".
1. Advice is typically guidance for a particular course of action, given based on expertise and experience.
2. A suggestion is usually a recommendation for something that could be done, but it is not necessarily as strongly recommended as advice.
3. If you are unsure which term to use, a good rule of thumb is to think of advice as a stronger recommendation than a suggestion.
4. Mnemonic: To remember that advice is stronger than suggestion, think of the phrase 'Add Vigor with Advice'.
Check the full list of commonly confused words in EnglishLearn the difference
Frequently asked questions
In what situations should the word 'Advice' be used?
Advice is typically used when providing guidance or assistance to someone. It is most often given in the form of a suggestion or recommendation on how to approach an issue or situation.
When is the appropriate context for using the word 'Suggestion'?
Suggestion is often used when offering a possible course of action which may not necessarily come with an explanation or advice. It is also used as a way to offer someone an idea while providing the option for them to accept or reject it.
Do the two words share the same pronunciation?
No, advice is pronounced as /ədˈvaɪs/, while suggestions is pronounced as /səˈdʒes.tʃən/.
What are some common mistakes people make when using these words?
People often confuse the two words and use them interchangeably, when in fact they have different meanings. Advice implies a more direct recommendation, while a suggestion is less specific and leaves room for the person to decide. Additionally, people might mistakenly use 'advice' in a situation where a 'suggestion' would be more appropriate.
Fill in the gaps to check yourself
1. I asked my friends for ________ on what to do next.
2. My teacher gave me some ________ about how to improve my essay.
3. After careful consideration, I decided to take his ________.
4. She offered me her ________ on how to get a better job.
5. His ________ was to study harder and practice more.
6. I received a lot of ________ from my family members.
Explanation: Advice is a noun that is defined as an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc. Asking for advice from friends would be the best way to receive guidance on what action to take next.
Explanation: Suggestion is a noun that is defined as an idea, plan, or course of action put forward for consideration. My teacher offered ideas for how to improve my essay, so asking for a suggestion would be an appropriate choice.
Explanation: Advice is a noun that is defined as an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc. After considering the opinion of my teacher, I decided to follow their advice and take action accordingly.
Explanation: Suggestion is a noun that is defined as an idea, plan, or course of action put forward for consideration. She provided an idea on how to get a better job, so asking for a suggestion would be an appropriate choice.
Explanation: Advice is a noun that is defined as an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc. His opinion was to give guidance on how to improve a certain task, so asking for advice would be an appropriate choice.
Explanation: Suggestions is a plural noun that is defined as ideas, plans, or courses of action put forward for consideration. I was given an array of ideas from my family members, so asking for suggestions would be an appropriate choice.
Get a gift by subscribing to our newsletter!
Download the PDF with a list of commonly confused words made as flashcards for comfortable learning.
List of Commonly Confused Words
Finding your way around the English language can be hard, especially since there are so many confusing words and rules. So, a list of the most confusing words in English is an extremely useful tool for improving language accuracy and sharing the ideas clearly.