16 Vivid Quotes From Literature That You May Not Have Known About
Quotes from literature are a great way to expand your vocabulary and brighten your speech. But they are good not only for studying. Sometimes, they can help you understand your feelings better and express your thoughts when you don’t know how to do it yourself. And sometimes, they might even adjust your attitude toward a particular situation. The right quote said or heard at the right time might be genuinely life-changing. That is why today we decided to share with you our all-time favorite book expressions on various topics.
Inspirational literary quotes that will set you up for success
Everyone needs inspiration. This beautiful feeling can help you change your life entirely, achieve all your goals, and finally reach the top. Some people find inspiration in music, others – in movies. And some prefer to see it in books. Here are some of the best quotes in the literature that can inspire you and show you the path to success.
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go.” Oh, The Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss
We’ve decided to start with this inspirational literary quote to remind you of one important thing. No matter what is going on in your life, you can have bad days and weeks and feel alone or left out. But the point is that you always have you – it is the only thing that matters. This expression was published in 1990 in the children's book Oh, The Place You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss. But don’t let it confuse you – sometimes, kids’ books have more sense than adult ones.
- “Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than the ones you did do.” P.S. I Love You by H. Jackson Brown Jr
Most people think this quote belongs to Mark Twain. However, originally, it was published in 1990 in a small book called P.S. I Love You. The author, H. Jackson Brown Jr, collected in this book short quotes and phrases mothers sent to their children in letters (we know you’ve thought about the other book, but it’s not it). This literature quote reminds us that life is short, and it is better to do something and regret it instead of lamenting the missed opportunity.
- “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for who you are not.”
Autumn Leaves by Andre Gide
Autumn Leaves is a beautiful book written by French author Andre Gide. It is an essay collection released in 1949, but even now, you can find dozens of literature quotes here. The one provided above tells us about the importance of being yourself – regardless of the circumstances. When you pretend to gain recognition, find friends or love, or achieve some goals, you won’t be happy with the results. All in all, you will see that is not true yourself – and it is one of the greatest disappointments.
- “The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.” Diary by Chuck Palahniuk
Chuck Palahniuk is one of the greatest modern horror writers. We all know him for the outstanding Fight Club, but he also has dozens of other excellent books in his authorship. This quote is from the novel called Diary, released in 2003. In addition to psychological horrors and remarkable dark humor, this book contains many amazing lines. The one provided above reminds us about the sense of our lives. It tells us that we don’t have to live forever but should leave something after us.
- “There are darknesses in life, and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.” Dracula by Bram Stoker
It is a quote from one of the oldest books in our collection. It was written by Bram Stoker in 1897 and is now considered a horror classic. Dracula is a novel about the vampire, of course, but like other books from the XIX century, it has a much deeper meaning. This quote stays relatable nowadays. It once again tells us about the importance of us in our life. You need to know that you are the only person who will always stay loyal and trustworthy, the only one you can rely on. And even in the darkest days, you can become your own light.
- “Just because your version of normal isn’t the same as someone else’s version doesn’t mean that there’s anything wrong with you.” The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket by John Boyne
This novel was released in 2012. John Boyne, an outstanding Irish writer, is known for his beautiful books. This one tells the story of a boy with unusual powers – unlike ordinary people, he can fly. But his parents are unhappy with such abilities and are trying to hide their son from others. This quote is an excellent summary of the story. It reminds us that we are all different, but it doesn’t mean that some are better than others. We are all beautiful in our own way, with various thoughts, appearances, and preferences.
English literature quotes about love that will melt your heart
Ah, how can we forget about love quotes? This wonderful feeling is chanted in almost every book because nothing is better. And, of course, we can’t leave you without a few famous quotes in the literature that describe this feeling perfectly. So, here are some of the best (in our opinion) book phrases and sayings about love.
- “Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Airman’s Odyssey
You probably remember all the famous quotes from the Little Prince. But this author has written many other remarkable novels, including Airman’s Odyssey, released in 1942. This renowned expression tells us one important thing. No matter how much you love your partner, sometimes it is not enough. When you see nothing but each other, you stay in one place, and there is no development in such relationships. To achieve something together, you should both have the same goals and move side by side to reach them.
- “We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness – and call it love – true love.” True Love by Robert Fulghum
True Love is one of the most popular books written by Robert Fulghum. It was published in 1997 and contained many famous English literature quotes about, guess what, love. This one perfectly describes this feeling. We are all weird in different ways, and the best thing in life is to find someone as crazy as we are and to accept each other regardless of the circumstances.
- “You don’t love because: you love despite; not for the virtues, but despite the faults.” The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner
The novel The Sound and The Fury was published in 1929. Back then, it was not successful. But now, many people can find many inspiring and overwhelming quotes on various topics here. This expression is similar to the previous one since it also tells us how important it is to accept someone despite the circumstances. If you truly love someone, you need to understand that there are many challenges in life, and you should go through them together.
- “We are who we are because of those who we choose to love, and because of those who love us.” The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse
This is one of the most popular British literature quotes. We all know how our friends, family, and loved ones impact our life. Moreover, our relationships with different people affect the formation of our personalities. This quote was published in 2009 in the book called The Winter Ghosts. It is a beautiful story about love, war, and courage that probably won’t leave you untouched. And it is not the only quote you can find between the lines.
- “Love doesn’t just sit there like a stone, it has to be made like bread; remade all the time, made new.” The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin
It is another brilliant quote that was first published in the book The Lathe of Heaven in 1971. It describes the importance of deeds and actions in our relationships. Whether you have already met your love or are just looking for your soulmate, it is not enough to just sit and wait for love to fall on your head from the ceiling. If you want to be happy, you must put in some effort.
Best literature quotes to make you smile
It is time to take a break from serious and deep book lines. Classics might be very relatable and important, but sometimes we just need to relax and read something simple and fun. For this reason, we’ve decided to finalize this article with our favorite quotes from books that always make us laugh (or smile, at least). Most of them don’t need a particular explanation, since they have a very literal meaning.
- “To win back my youth, Gerald, there is nothing I wouldn’t do – except take exercise, get up early, or be a useful member of the community.” A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde
It is a famous quote from the book A Woman of No Importance. Even though it was published in 1893, this line always gets us. Probably, it is because it perfectly describes most people – sometimes, we are ready to do anything to achieve our goals, except for the things that must have been done, of course.
- “Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.” Jingo by Terry Pratchett
Sir Terry Pratchett is known for his unique sense of humor. This line from the book Jingo, published in 1997, mocks one famous proverb. And it doesn't have any in-depth meaning, so we wouldn’t even describe it. It is just funny – therefore, we added it to our list.
- “Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.” Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett
As we just said, this author has impressive humor. That is why we added another line from his book. This time, it is a quote from a book called Reaper Man, released in 1991. You probably know at least one person who uses exclamation marks in every message sent. And we are sure that you smiled at least once at its irrelevance. But do you know the funniest thing about this quote? When it was published, text messages didn’t even exist!
- “In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” The Restaurant at The End of The Universe by Douglas Adams
Do we even need to describe this one? It was relevant when first published in 1980 and is relevant today. When we read all the bad news about things happening here and there around the globe, sometimes we think it was a wrong move. Nevertheless, Douglas Adams knew how to turn terrible events into funny quotes – and is one of them.
- “If you think anyone is sane, you just don’t know enough about them.” Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore
Last but not least in our list is a quote from a 1980 novel called Practical Demonkeeping. First, it proves that people remain the same regarding the time they live. Second, it remains that we all are a little crazy, and we need to finally accept that. And finally, it is hilarious – that’s why you can see it in this list.
Learning best quotes from literature with Promova
Literature quotes significantly impact your English-learning process. They expand your vocabulary, strengthen your reading, speaking, and writing skills, and increase your general knowledge. But to achieve more, it is not enough just to read them. You need to understand their meanings and implement them in your daily conversations. Luckily, we know how to help you with that.
Promova is a modern language-learning platform that accepts students from all over the world. It doesn’t matter what your English level is, what topics you are interested in, and why you want to learn them. Here you can find everything you need for beneficial and fun studying. And the best thing is that you can choose from several options.
- Private lessons. It is the best choice for those who seek help from experienced tutors. Our team of professionals is ready to help you with any query. All you need to do is to go to the platform’s website, take a simple test to determine your level, and choose a suitable time for your first lesson.
- Group lessons. If you think that studying alone is boring, say no more! We are happy to invite you to join our group classes. They are perfect for meeting new people, practicing speaking and listening skills, and having fun during every lesson.
- Conversation Club. If your English level is above average and your goal is not to study but to practice, a free Conversation Club is your final destination. Just choose the topic you want to discuss, check the meeting time with your schedule, and join the discussion from any convenient device.
- Promova application. We are excited to present our convenient app for those who prefer to study alone. All you need to do is to install it on your phone or tablet. After that, you will access hundreds of English topics, vocabulary and grammar lessons, speaking and listening exercises, and much more. The application is suitable for iOS and Android devices, so you can start practicing immediately.
As you can see, there are many features to choose from. If you want to learn more inspiring quotes or discuss them with others, select the one from the list above and begin your journey to your goal. And we will be happy to help you reach the top.
What can we say in the end? The journey is never-ending. There's always going to be growth, improvement, and adversity; you just have to take it all in and do what's right, continue to grow, and continue to live in the moment.
Of course, we cannot miss the opportunity to finish our article with this beautiful quote from Antonio Brown. But this line entirely describes your studying process. There’s no limit to perfection, and it relates to all your areas of life. Hence, we wish you never to stop – move towards your goal no matter what, and the results will be visible very soon. And we will be happy to read your favorite quotes from the books, so please share them in the comments section.
What is a quote?
According to the Cambridge Dictionary, it is a short phrase taken from a longer writing, book, novel, or poetry; it can also be said by a particular person. In layperson’s terms, it is a saying repeated (orally or in writing) by anyone who is not the original author.
Why do we need to learn literature quotes?
Quotes from books have many benefits. First, they can help you expand your vocabulary and general knowledge. Another advantage is that using them in conversations lets you to practice speaking and sounding more natural. And finally, literature quotes can help you understand and explain your feelings and even change your attitude towards particular things.
What is the best quote about love?
There are many of them because love is discussed in most books. But our all-time favorite quote is, “Love doesn’t just sit there like a stone, it has to be made like bread; remade all the time, made new.” from the 1972 novel The Lathe of Heaven written by Ursula K. Le Guin.
What is the best inspiring quote?
Once again, there are a lot of them. But we usually stay motivated by this one: “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go.” Yeah, it is from one of the kids’ books written by Dr. Seuss, but it doesn’t mean that we can’t like it, right?