A1 Lessons - Elementary English Course
Most adults tried to learn English at some point, and life got in their way. English Elementary lessons can help you return to your learning journey and master the basics.
Even if you don’t remember much from your English classes in school, you’re probably not a complete beginner. In fact, you probably encounter English daily, whether at work or in your personal life.
A1 lessons with a tutor can help you understand how much you already know and improve your skills. You can learn incredibly quickly with a good mentor at your side.
Learn English and grow beyond the elementary level with Promova!
Learners will be able to
Understand simple texts about familiar topics such as everyday life and job-related language. Write factual information in a series of simple phrases and sentences.
Directly exchange information about familiar routine matters. Talk about work, free time, likes/dislikes, etc. Understand speech, provided it’s clearly and slowly articulated.
Handle common situations such as travel, ordering food at restaurants, shopping, gym visits, and so on. Understand cultural differences and make plans to a limited extent.
Talk about your living situation or working conditions after some preparation and rehearsal. Link thoughts and sentences into lists of key points.
Use simple terms to ask others to explain something to you, and provide reasoning with to and for.
for clearer communication. Make simple predictions about the future.
What you’ll learn in our A1 Elementary English courses
Elementary level English lessons focus on improving your comfort with the language. You’ll build on your knowledge of basic tenses and very familiar topics. From there, you’ll learn to clearly communicate facts about yourself and your daily life.
Some of the topics covered in our A1 level English program include:
- People you know - friends, family, etc.
- Everyday life, weekends, and vacations.
- Workspaces and everyday items in them.
- Simple technology problems and solving them.
- Sports popular in your country, related events.
- Exercise and your daily habits.
- Celebrations and holidays in your country.
- Pop culture and pop culture events - concerts, etc.
- How to invite others to events and plan meetings.
- Gifts - gifting, receiving, expressing gratitude.
- Favorite comfort foods; describing meals.
- Common situations while eating out at restaurants.
- Past events in your life; describing a special day.
- Opinions and feelings; expressing emotions.
- Shopping - habits, money, and preferences.
- Travel - what a good vacation looks like to you.
- Fears and concerns - how to make simple plans.
- Appearance, accessories, style, and clothes.
- Health problems and dangers at work or study.
- Social media phrases and common expressions.
- Present Simple for habits and routines.
- To be - affirmative, negative, and questions.
- Possessive adjectives - my, your, his, her, etc.
- Common verbs - do, have, make in sentences.
- Demonstratives - this/that one; these/those ones.
- Present Continuous vs. Present Simple comparison.
- Using Present Continuous for future plans
- Object pronouns - me, you, her, him, us, them, whom.
- Past Simple and its common use.
- Plans and arrangements using be going to.
- Determiners - articles, demonstratives, possessives.
- Conditional sentences - if and when.
- Providing reasons with to and for.
- Comparative and superlative adjectives.
- Responsibilities using have to.
- Making simple predictions.
- Present Perfect to describe experiences.
- Comparisons and similarities with be like.
- Relative pronouns: who, which, that.
- Present Perfect and Simple Past.
Classes for A1 EnglishPromova offers two tutoring programs for online A1 English lessons:
- 1x1 time with a certified tutor who helps you develop an individual learning plan
- Direct conversational practice with a native-like speaker
- Immediate feedback and correction of your mistakes
- Topics and subjects tailored to your personal interests
- Flexible schedule with 25-, 50-, and 90-minute lessons
- Lessons in friendly groups averaging 3 learners of the same level
- Focus on teamwork and collaboration during exercises
- Lots of conversational practice with fellow learners
- Pace and program designed for overall group progress
- Motivating atmosphere of mutual learning and support
What are the lessons like
Your tutor will start by asking questions to learn about you and your goals. Most importantly, they’ll help you figure out what you already know - no learner is a complete blank slate, and your English may be a lot better than you think.
The path from A1 to A2 is all about your foundations. For example, if you have a great visual memory, your tutor will rely on flashcards and presentations to help you learn faster. However, if you’re an auditory learner, your tutor will focus on active listening.
To summarize, while your learning will develop all-around balanced skills, standing on your strengths will help you improve faster.
You don’t have to read boring textbooks with outdated scenarios like “how to get to the library?” With access to the web is that you can access all sorts of information you love, in English, at your level.
Likewise, your A1 English course will start from creating an individual plan just for you. It will include your hobbies, job, and learning goals. If you’re into science fiction, video games, TV shows, or sports - your tutor will bring materials tailored to these interests.
Learning English with your favorite stories and characters is just more fun. Moreover, passion will help you conquer the A1 level much faster than textbooks ever could.
Elementary English is all about your foundational skills. Think of it like the roots of a tree. While the plant reaches for the sky, the roots support and hold it in place. Similarly, your basic English skills will help support your speech and build more complex sentences.
To start off, you will need to master simple grammar that will help support your sentences. Then you’ll develop a vocabulary to talk about everyday situations. You’ll also learn to read and listen to understand English better. From there, you can write and speak, expressing your own thoughts. Your tutor will be there every step of the way to guide you on this journey. They’ll provide instructions and motivation to set you up for success.
Meet some of our Elementary English Tutors
Carlos is a very helpful, lively and open-minded English instructor. During his over 5 years of teaching, he has stolen hearts of a lot of students around the world - they all want to stay with Carlos after the first several lessons. If you're looking for someone who would be not only your learning mentor but also a close friend whom you can discuss things with, you're in the right place. Carlos is exactly the kind of English language tutor whose classes are relaxed, easy, and interesting - but still ensure progress. He can offer a lot of online games, varied tasks, and new ways to do things.
We call Sana a Universal English tutor because she specializes in general English, business English, and exam preparation. You want it? She can most certainly do it! She has worked as a teacher for the past 12 years. Conversational abilities are a top priority for her, and she maintains an open mind and purpose in her life.Her online classes are really popular among students who are looking for steady balanced progress in all areas. Whether it's learning grammar, writing or listening - all aspects of language and skills are covered in her lessons. And all of this is accompanied by snippets of film, pieces of music, and even information from the scientific community - she is very open-minded indeed.
Loryn is an incredibly positive and approachable teacher. She started teaching English online in 2018, whilst simultaneously studying psychology. Loryn found that the combination of her teaching qualification and her psychology degree really complimented each other.She creates a comfortable and warm learning environment for students where they are eager to grow and develop their language abilities through the use of conversations. Loryn believes that a successful lesson is one whereby students explore and challenge their abilities, where they laugh and learn and are by no means afraid of making mistakes.
Ladan is a very hardworking, lively and responsible CELTA certified English instructor. She has been working as a teacher for more than 13 years and has stolen hearts of a lot of students in different ages – many of them stayed with Ladan for several years.If you’re looking for someone who would be not only your learning mentor but also a close friend who you can discuss things with, you’re in the right place. Ladan is exactly the kind of English language tutor whose classes are full of different activities and fun as she will offer a lot of varied tasks and new ways to do things to ensure progress.
Alireza loves his awesome students, teaching and soccer. He’s from Iran and has 12 years of teaching experience. He says that his mission is to give students a voice to express themselves and every student feels an incredible vibe in class and gets even more motivated learning English inspired by Alireza.Alireza confesses that he enjoys teaching IELTS most of all, also he’s awesome at teaching General and Business English. He’s a Celta certified teacher and a PhD student at the moment. Alireza has always been taking care of his students and will come with the best assignments to help you achieve your goals.
Born and raised in the United States, Clark Murad comes from a multiracial family therefore he can empathize with students from different countries and loves helping with their pronunciation and accent. Clark uses visual materials, games and always chooses relevant and up-to-date topics for his lessons. So if you are looking for a fun and interactive tutor, he is the perfect fit.Clark Murad’s lessons are full of energy and speaking practice. He is a proud father of two daughters and has a very patient and compassionate approach in his lessons.
Reviews from our learners
I have taken individual lessons on Promova. I really like studying with my teacher. She is an excellent teacher, explains grammar in an accessible way, and competently submits the material. She has interesting interactive lessons. I really like speaking classes with her, since she is a native speaker. I have raised my level from beginner to Basic English Elementary.
I studied English on my own and realized that I could not master English so quickly. Now I have taken group lessons on Promova and started from the Elementary English lessons. I liked it. I think everything will go smoothly now. The teacher is wonderful and explains everything clearly.
I can say that only individual lessons with a tutor are suitable for me. Here you can practice spoken English, discuss various topics, and practice with native speakers. The lessons are all online, so you don't have to go to the other end of the city, and waste a lot of time. After the lesson, you can review and recall the material you have passed.
I want to note that the booking of lessons on Promova takes place independently. So you can choose the date and time when it is convenient for you.
There is a first individual free lesson. You can choose the topic of the lesson and the teacher too. It suits me very well. Thanks!
I took Elementary English for adults. In the classroom, we studied English grammar, increased vocabulary, and communicated in the language on various topics. The lessons were held in a friendly, friendly atmosphere. The teacher always answered questions and explained all the incomprehensible points. I really liked this course.
Frequently asked questions
Who is this course for?
This course is primarily for adults who want to improve their English for personal or professional goals. It’s also suitable for young adults planning to study or work abroad. Starting from A1 is an excellent choice if, for example, you learned the language at school long ago and have some scattered knowledge of the structure and common words. English learning at the elementary level builds on your basics and helps focus your studies. Working with a tutor will speed up your progress and create a safe environment to practice and build confidence.
What is elementary English?
A1 is the starting level of English language proficiency. This is the base amount of knowledge you will need to navigate a foreign environment. If you are Elementary in English, you can build simple sentences, talk about yourself, and understand simple texts and instructions. This level of knowledge will help you not get lost during travel and get your point across during everyday situations abroad.
What are the topics in elementary English?
In the first lesson, Elementary English language learners answer a few questions to help their tutor understand what they know and need to work on. From there, you will likely move on to learning the verb to be in simple sentences.
Over time, you will learn pronouns and start building simple sentences about yourself and your family. For information about specific conversational and grammar topics, refer to the "What you'll learn in our Elementary English courses" section.
What is required for A1 English level?
Once you reach A1, you should be able to:
- Introduce yourself and talk about your life in simple terms.
- Talk about topics in your immediate interests with basic sentences.
- Build and pronounce short, grammatically correct sentences.
- Understand slow, well-articulated speech.
- Read short factual texts with some help from your tutor.
- Know common words in structured situations such as at the restaurant.
In short, this level lays the foundation for your future learning.
How can I improve my English Elementary Level?
To grow past the A1 elementary level of English, you must study topics at your level. Here are some suggestions:
- Read out loud and practice pronunciation. Over time, you’ll start remembering words both visually and by sound.
- Listen to music and watch videos. Songs often use simple words, so they’re a great place to start. You can also improve your listening with simple videos.
- Write down notes. Writing works with your muscle memory and turns on different parts of your brain. You’ll retain a lot more if you also review your notes daily.
- Use Promova. We created an application to help you learn new words and practice grammar. In addition, certified tutors are always happy to help you succeed.
Remember that growing your skills takes time and effort - don’t expect to become fluent overnight. However, it will feel incredible when you start to understand English by ear.