Irony vs Sarcasm
What’s the difference between them?
the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
1. It was ironic that the teacher gave the students an exam on the first day of school.
2. She found it ironic that she had to take a test to prove her intelligence.
3. The irony of the situation was that the person who got the highest score failed the test.
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
1. His response was dripping with sarcasm.
2. She was known for her biting sarcasm.
3. His sarcasm was not appreciated by the group.
Learn similar and opposite words to spot the difference
3. Witty Repartee
4. Dry Humor
5. Respectful speech
Tricks for mastery
Useful tips to understand the difference between confusing words "Irony", "Sarcasm".
1 .Irony is a subtle form of humor that can be conveyed through verbal expressions or situations.
2. Sarcasm is a type of irony that is expressed through verbal comments that have a mocking and ironic tone.
3. Mnemonic phrase: 'Irony is indirect; sarcasm is direct.'
Check the full list of commonly confused words in EnglishLearn the difference
Frequently asked questions
In what situations should Irony be used?
Irony is used to express humor, or to make a comment on a situation or ideIt is often used when making a point in a sarcastic or humorous way. Irony is often used in literature and storytelling, and can be used to reveal a truth or to poke fun at a situation.
When is the appropriate context for using Sarcasm?
Sarcasm is a form of irony that is used to mock or belittle someone or something. It is often used humorously to make light of a situation or to ridicule someone. Sarcasm should only be used when it is clear to the person you are speaking with that you are not being serious.
Do the two words share the same pronunciation?
No, the two words have different pronunciations. Irony is pronounced ‘eye-run-ee’, and sarcasm is pronounced ‘sahr-kaz-uhm’.
What are some common mistakes people make when using these words?
People often mistakenly use Irony and Sarcasm interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Irony is used to express humor or point out a truth, while Sarcasm is used to mock or ridicule. People also often misunderstand the context in which Irony or Sarcasm is being used, leading to confusion or offense.
Fill in the gaps to check yourself
1. The use of __________ is often used to mock or poke fun at someone.
2. His speech was filled with __________, making the audience laugh.
3. The __________ of the situation was not lost on the audience.
4. She had a sarcastic sense of __________.
5. He spoke with a heavy dose of __________.
6. She used __________ to add humor to her story.
Explanation: Sarcasm is an ironic statement or comment meant to mock or poke fun at someone, often in a humorous way.
Explanation: Irony is a figure of speech that is used to express something different from and often opposite to the literal meaning, often for humorous or emphatic effect. In this case, the speaker is using irony to make the audience laugh.
Explanation:Irony is used to point out the disparity between an expected outcome and the actual outcome, especially when the actual outcome is particularly humorous or absurd. In this case, the audience is aware of the irony of the situation.
Explanation: Irony is often used to express a sarcastic sense of humor. In this case, the person is expressing a sarcastic sense of irony.
Explanation: Sarcasm is an ironic statement or comment meant to mock or poke fun at someone, often in a humorous way. In this case, the speaker is using sarcasm to make their point.
Explanation: Irony is a figure of speech that is used to express something different from and often opposite to the literal meaning, often for humorous or emphatic effect. In this case, the person is using irony to add humor to their story.
Get a gift by subscribing to our newsletter!
Download the PDF with a list of commonly confused words made as flashcards for comfortable learning.
List of Commonly Confused Words
Finding your way around the English language can be hard, especially since there are so many confusing words and rules. So, a list of the most confusing words in English is an extremely useful tool for improving language accuracy and sharing the ideas clearly.