a family is a group of related individuals, usually comprising of a mother, father and their children. A family unit often shares common values and lifestyle, and is seen as an essential part of social life. Generally, people related through a common ancestry are considered part of the same family. Examples include nuclear, extended, single-parent and blended families.
1. We are all proud to be part of a big and loving family.
2. He was born into a wealthy family.
3. Our family had to make several sacrifices to make ends meet.
The term ‘family’ is used to refer to whatever a person considers their family to be, whether that refers to close relatives, such as parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, or to friends or partners who they consider to be a part of their family.
Family can also be used as an adjective to describe something related to or suitable for a family group.
1. The family film was enjoyable for both kids and adults.
2. We decided to take a family vacation to the beach.
3. We are looking for a family-friendly restaurant to take the kids.
It is important to note that ‘family’ should not be used as a noun when used as an adjective. For example, ‘We are taking a family vacation’ is incorrect and should be corrected to ‘We are taking a family vacation’.