wane is a noun that refers to a gradual decrease in strength or intensity over time. It can also refer to a decrease in the size of something such as the crescent shape of the moon.
1. The hurricane's strength and impact began to wane as it moved away from the coastline.
2. In the early morning sky, the moon's wane was obvious.
the noun form of the word can be used both literally and metaphorically.
the verb form of wane means to become gradually less and less.
1. The days become shorter as the summer wanes.
2. The enthusiasm for the magic potion waned quickly after its release.
3. As the temperature got warmer the snow began to wane.
it's important to note that although the word has the same core meaning, the verb form is spelled differently than the noun form. The verb form is spelled 'waned'.